Time for a shark snorkel – Swimming with the sharks of Durban’s Aliwal Shoal? Don your wetsuit; position your mask; slip into the water for an encounter of a lifetime. Yes, you are swimming with the sharks ‘ of Durban’s famous Aliwal Shoal – face to face with a supreme predator, the shark.
Whilst we can’t all be Jacques Cousteau there is no reason for anyone to miss out on this underwater shark adventure! On Blue Wilderness’s swim with sharks adventure, you can snorkel cageless amongst 20 blacktip sharks. This means you don’t have to be SCUBA qualified to swim with sharks. In fact this trip is open to everyone, mum, dad, the kids and even gramps and gran can enjoy a cageless shark snorkel at Durban’s Aliwal Shoal. Blue Wilderness runs daily shark swimming snorkeling trips out to Durban’s Aliwal Shoal to introduce adventurers, like you, to the wonders of the marine life and sharks that inhabit the reefs. Guests can also begin in the cage, and when feeling comfortable you can venture out to ‘go cageless’.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Scottburgh – Durban South Coast|
|LEVEL – QUALIFICATION||Beginner – No qualifications needed|
|WEAR||Swimsuit – You will be fitted with wetsuits and snorkeling equipment|
- Enjoy morning coffee or tea.
- Be fitted for wetsuit, fins and mask.
- Receive briefing on safety and shark interaction.
- Load into our transport and drive (2mins) to launch site.
- Receive briefing on launching procedure.
- Launch through the surf on an exciting surf launch.
Shark snorkel swim
- 30-60 minutes shark snorkel – swimming with sharks.
Return to Blue Wilderness
- Return to Blue Wilderness base.
- Enjoy showers and warm towels.
- Receive complementary lunch
- View (with option to purchase) your personalised ‘Swim with sharks’ video
- Depart for home!
- Personal – We love our guests, from the diving, relaxing, to telling stories around our afternoon lunch, you will find our team friendly, personal and always at hand to make your trip as special as possible!
- Safety – Blue Wilderness recognizes that sharks are wild animals and need to be respected by both us and our clients. To ensure safety and respect for the ocean, we operate under a strict ‘no touch’ and ‘no harassment’ policy (including our guides!). This makes our trips very safe and at all times respectful to the animals that we are privileged to view and interacting with.
- Pioneers – In the late 90’s Blue Wilderness pioneered the shark diving on Aliwal Shoal. Though our work in hosting and facilitating the marine logistics for National Geographic documentaries including – Dive to Tiger Central, we have been at the forefront of building the Aliwal Shoal as one of the worlds most renowned shark diving locations.
- Expertise – The Blue Wilderness team is made up of many of the countries top shark experts and scientists. Owners, Ryan Johnson and Enrico Gennari have published extensive research on sharks (see here), advised government, and developed responsible management plan for sharks in South Africa. Our primary skipper, Marcus, has been leading expeditions on the shoal for over 15 years, and our guides take guests, like you, to cage diving, snorkel and SCUBA dive with the sharks or Aliwal shoal daily. Now this is true expertise!
- The Professionals use us – Blue Wilderness is the goto shark logistics company for many of the worlds top film crews and photographers wanting to capture images and video of the Sardine Run, we’ve hosted BBC, National Geographic, Discovery Channel and helped produce many of the iconic shark documentaries all over Southern Africa –check them out here. There is a reason why the professionals use us – because we are the best at finding and safely allowing clients to interact with sharks
- Research & Education – We believe that eco-tourism needs to give back to the environment. We do so by collecting vital citizen science daily that feeds back to the scientists of Oceans Research. We also aim that every guests is empowered to become an ambassador for shark conservation through the information we offer during the course of each expedition.